In this article, I will help you to know the best places to visit in North East India. As you may know, North-East India is comprised of states – Assam, Arunachal Pradesh, Sikkim, Nagaland, Mizoram, Meghalaya, Tripura, and Manipur.
These places are best known for their dense forests, National Parks and Wildlife Sanctuary. Moreover, it is a popular place for ancient and Buddhist monasteries, local culture and festivals, villages and tribes, food diversity. Particularly, you will love the beautiful hill stations and formidable mountains, pristine valleys, glistening lakes and rivers, waterfalls, and adventure places.
In this post, I have listed the best places to visit in North East India.First of all, let’s start with the Tawang Monastery, then will move to Cherrapunji and so on.
1. Tawang Monastery
Where is Tawang Monastery located?
Tawang Monastery is the second-largest monastery in the world. Hence, it is one of the attractive tourist places in India. It is located in Tawang, Arunachal Pradesh.
Why Tawang Monastery is famous?
- Merak Lama Lodre Gyamtso founded this monastery in 1860-61.
- It spreads in an area of 135 square meters, encircled by a wall. And, it has sixty-five residential structures and ten other buildings.
- However, this monastery is a Buddhist sacred site and home for monks. It includes assembly halls and arts. In addition, there is a giant statue of Lord Buddha, a courtyard, and many more.
- Besides, there is a library that is stocked with valuable old scriptures.
- Moreover, there is another structure in the monastery, which is known as the Court and it hosts religious dances and other ceremonies.
- As it lies at the Himalayan ranges and above sea level, it offers a nice view of the beautiful Tawang-Chu valley.
What is the best time to visit Tawang Monastery?
April to June is the best time to visit Tawang. And during this time the temperature is between 10 degrees to 22 degrees celsius.
How to reach Tawang Monastery?
However, there is no airport in Tawang. You have to get a flight from major cities like Kolkata and reach Sonibari Airport which is in Tezpur. From Tezpur, you can hire a bus or cab. *The journey will take approx. 10 to 12 hours from Tezpur to Tawang.
If you like peaceful, spiritual, and Buddhist places you should experience this monastery in your lifespan.
Where Cherrapunji is located?
The wettest place Cherrapunji is one of the beautiful cities in Meghalaya, India.
Why Cherrapunji is famous?
- This place is famous for its highest rainfall in the world.
- Besides this, it is also notable for its beautiful scenery and flora.
- Nohkalikai waterfall, misty valleys, Mawsmai cave, and the living root bridge make this place more wonderful.
- Apart from this, it is well-known for its oranges and rice-beer.
What is the best time to visit Cherrapunji?
October to February is the fine time to visit this spot. The weather of Cherrapunji remains cool and pleasant during this time. And, the temperature is 5 degrees to 25 degrees celsius.
How to reach Cherrapunji?
You can either reach Shillong airport or Guwahati station. Which is the closest to Cherrapunji then you can rent a taxi or take a bus.
If you love rain and waterfalls you should not miss this place.
3. Majuli Islands
Where Majuli Island is located?
Majuli Island is the biggest and freshwater river island located in the river Brahmaputra, Assam.
What is the Key Attraction of Majuli Islands?
- The Majuli Islands attract tourists for its lush green, environment-friendly, and pollution-free places in India. People travel to this place because of its beauty, unique and interesting culture of local tribes.
- Apart from this, beautiful pottery and handloom items are also available near the Island.
- Majuli is listed in UNESCO’s World Heritage Sites. It is as well named the cultural capital of Assam for its unique and interesting civilization.
- Meanwhile, the festival’s celebrations like Rass Purnima, Bathow Puja are very joyous and exciting.
What is the best time to visit Majuli Island?
October to February is the best time to explore Majuli Island. As the minimum temperature is nearly 15 degrees celsius.
How to reach the Majuli Island?
Jorhat has an airport and railway station and is the closest to Majuli. After all, you can also take a ferry ride to reach the Island. *Distance between Jorhat and Majuli is 20 km.
If you desire to enjoy the Rass festival of Lord Krishna you should never miss this place in November month.
4. Dibru Saikhowa National Park
Where Dibru Saikhowa National Park is Located?
Generally, the Dibru Saikhowa National Park is a river island national park. As well, it is a Biosphere Reserve that is situated north of Tinsukia in Assam.
Why Dibru Saikhowa National Park is famous?
- This National Park is noted for its ample collection of flora and fauna, wetland, grasslands, and dense forest.
- It is home to royal Bengal tiger, hoolock gibbons and leopards, White-winged Wood Duck, Bengal Florican, Swamp Partridge, Striated Grassbird, and many more.
What is the best time to visit the Dibru Saikhowa National Park?
June to February as the temperature varies from 7 degrees to 28 degrees celsius and the best time to watch migratory birds.
How to reach the Dibru Saikhowa National Park?
Mohanbari is the nearest Airport, Dibrugarh railway station, buses and taxicabs are also available here.
If you are a photographer or wildlife lover then don’t wait to visit this spot.
Where Pelling is located?
Pelling is one of the most beautiful towns. It is popular tourist attractions place in the Northeast.
It is located in West Sikkim. Pelling is one of the best places to visit in North East India.
What Pelling is attraction place?
- It has Khecheopalri Lake, Khangchendzonga Waterfalls, Sawaro Rock Garden, and many scenic sights.
- Besides these flower exhibitions and traditional crafts stalls also keep the visitors entertained.
What is the best time to visit Pelling?
October to February is the best time to visit Pelling. As you can enjoy a clear vision of mountain summits. Because the temperature is minus 5 degrees to 14 degrees celsius.
How to reach Pelling?
Bagdogra Airport in West Bengal or Pakyong Airport is near to Pelling. New Jalpaiguri Railway Station in West Bengal is the nearest station. You can also catch public transport like a bus to reach Pelling.
Christmas in Pelling is something you should preserve in memory for a long time. So list this place for your next holiday.
6. Nathu La Pass
Where Nathu La Pass is Located?
The Nathu La pass is a mountain pass situated on the old silk route at the Indo-China border and located in Sikkim state.
What is the Key Attraction of Nathu La Pass?
- During the winter season, it offers a breathtaking view of the snow-covered mountains. Under the light blue sky and the long winding roads.
- Besides, it is rich in Himalayan flora and fauna.
- Along with this place, Menmecho Lake, Kyongnosla Alpine Sanctuary, and Zuluk Wildlife Sanctuary are quite an exploring place.
What is the best time to visit the Nathu La Pass?
March to June as the temperature is nearly 10 degrees celsius so you can have a visit during this time.
How to reach the Nathu La Pass?
Bagdogra Airport is the nearest airport. It is connected to all major cities of India. Otherwise, the New Jalpaiguri Railway station in Siliguri is nearest to Nathula Pass. Regular bus services are also easily available here.
*Only citizens of India that obtain a permit in Gangtok can visit this pass.
7. Nohkalikai Falls
Where Nohkalikai waterfalls is Located?
Unmatchable of the world’s most popular photogenic Nohkalikai waterfalls. It is situated in Cherrapunji, Meghalaya.
Why Nohkalikai waterfalls is interesting place?
- It is surrounded by lush greenery. It is a paradise place for nature lovers and photo fanatics.
- Here one can have trekking, camping, bird watching, landscape photography, and swimming.
What is the best time to visit Nohkalikai waterfalls?
September to May is the ideal time to visit the falls. As the temperature is 5 degrees to 25 degrees celsius.
How to reach Nohkalikai Falls?
The closest airport and railway station is Shillong. Bus and private taxi bus also available here.
Visit this place and enjoy the waterfall and click as many pics as you can.
8. Goechala, Sikkim –
Where Goechala Trek is located?
Goechala Trek is a high mountain pass. This eye-catching sight located in Sikkim.
Why Goechala is Interesting tourist place?
- If you love trekking you should not leave out this place. You will encounter the large mountains of the Himalayan range.
- Likewise, you also can enjoy camping and sightseeing in the big mountains.
- One can also enjoy the beauty of some of the densest rhododendron forests near it.
- The Samiti Lake which is another attraction place near the Goechala is interesting to view the still waters and reflection of the mountain.
What is the best time to visit Goechala Trek?
October to November is the ideal time to visit here to watch the mountains and sunsets as the skies are clear.
How to reach the Goechala Trek?
Bagdogra International Airport is the nearest airport. New Jalpaiguri Junction in West Bengal is the nearest railway station from where you can book a cab to reach Yuksom, Sikkim.
If you want to trek then have a visit here.
9. Umiam Lake
Where Umiam Lake is located?
Umiam Lake a man-made reservoir in the hills situated north of Shillong in Meghalaya.
Why Umiam Lake is popular?
- It is a popular destination for water sport, adventure and is a mesmerizing spot in North East India.
- Moreover, one may enjoy water cycling, scooting, and boating in this lake.
- Apart from this, it is surrounded by dense stretches of coniferous forests.
What is the best time to visit Umiam Lake?
March to December is a wonderful time to visit as the weather is pleasant. And the temperature range is 2 degrees to 24 degrees celsius.
How to reach –
As Umroi airport in Shillong is the closest airport to the lake. You can easily get a bus and a taxi to reach the destination.
If you are looking for sensational and bright sunlight views then this lake is a perfect choice to explore and it is the best picnic spot.
Last but not the least, it is one of the best places to visit in North East India
Where Kanchenjunga is Located?
Kanchenjunga is one of the famous peaks in the Himalayan belt and the world’s third-highest mountain that is situated in Sikkim state.
What is the Key Attraction in Kanchenjunga?
- It attracts tourists for its best adventure place and the Kanchenjunga trek will take you to some of the beautiful and greenery forests of Sikkim.
- Indeed travelers land up here for scenic beauty and surroundings.
- In addition to this, the Kanchenjunga National Park is home to a large variety of rhododendrons, snow leopard, Asiatic black bear, Himalayan musk deer, red panda, and many more.
What is the best time to visit the Kanchenjunga?
September to May is the best time to visit here as the temperature range is minus 2 degrees to 20 degrees celsius.
How to reach Kanchenjunga?
Bagdogra is the nearest airport and Jalpaiguri is the nearest railway station to reach Kanchenjunga. Buses and taxis are also available to reach here.
This is a spectacular place and if you love adventure then this place is must visit.
I hope I helped you to know the best places to visit in North East India. Plan a trip for North East India. And come with your family, friends, or partner and spend your vacation joyfully. Happy Journey 🙂
And, if you made plans to visit North East India. Then you should try delicious and popular local food of North East. Here, I shared the article, you may check the article to know the 7 Most Popular North East Indian Food.
One thought on “What are the best places to visit in North East India?”
Comments are closed.