Feeling Bored..? Not getting a proper idea where to go & how to go..!! No worry In this Article let me take you on a virtual tour to the top 5 & best Hill Stations in Coimbatore.
Have a look at some of the best hill resorts in South India. Just be with me & you will enjoy a wonderful and memorable vacation with your family and friends.
It was for the first time I had been to a hill station. A visit to the hill station was like visiting some other cold country in the world. “We all like the hills because they make us feel small, they help us sort out what’s important in life & you know why do we like mountains so much…! Because even though they stand alone they look always fearless”
Excited..! Then what are you waiting for..? Lets go
1. Ooty (The queen of Hills) – For Honeymooners.
Let me introduce to our queen Ooty that is one of the most beautiful and heart relaxing Tourist spots of Tamil Nadu. This place has very cool and chill climate in summer season so it is one of the best known hill stations of India. It is called a nature lover’s paradise too, due to its greens, wonderful blue Mountains, rippling clear lakes, alpine woods and lively climate like that of English summers.
How to reach?
If you are using train, you can go upto Coimbatore which is the nearest town & then take a bus or taxi from there to Ooty.
The nearest airport is Coimbatore, so one can also fly in there and then reach Ooty from there. For a thrilling and joyful mountain experience, head to Ooty during the months of October to June.
Places to Explore in Ooty
If you are a diehard fan of nature then plan for 3-4 days so that you can explore all the relaxing places near Ooty like – Ooty lake, Dodabetta park, Botanical Garden Ooty, Dear Park, Toda Tribe Huts, Rose garden, Dolphin’s Nose etc.
Where To Stay?
Sterling Elk Hills, La Montana TGI (Previously Sagar Resort), Accord Highland Hotel, Destiny Farmstay are some of the best nearby properties to stay that you can choose according to your budget.
Tips for 5 days Ooty trip plan
- Wear comfortable shoes as you will be doing a lot of walking and trekking on the hills.
- No matter which season you visit Ooty in, the nights get chilly. So, carry one thick jacket for the night time.
- Carry more woollen cloths like sweater, cap, muffler when visiting end of December or January and February.
- Also, carry an umbrella or rainwear when visiting in the rainy season (April – September).
- If you are visiting Ooty during the covid times, you need to e-register at the TN government website and carry a printout of the same. It will be checked at the border while entering Tamil Nadu.
- Also, if you have more days at hand, you can consider staying overnight at Bandipur. It will be a nice break & you can take the safari at Bandipur National Park.
- The town of Ooty is very adequately stocked with all essentials that you need. You can always shop from there for anything and everything while there.
Ooty is one of the best hill stations in India for honeymooners.
The pleasant weather, lush greenery, misty hills, sprawling tea estates, and romantic sites add magic to your Ooty honeymoon.
2) Coonoor – One Of The Largest Hills.
Coonoor is one of the three popular hill stations in the Nilgiri Hills, the other two being Ooty and Kotagiri. Coonoor is second largest hill station in the Nilgiri Hills, Ooty being the largest one.
Coonoor in Tamil Nadu is an exquisite hilly hamlet.Located at only 20 KM from its sister town, Ooty, Coonoor is often treated as a part of Ooty travel.
How to reach Coonoor?
Nearest Railway station – Coimbatore junction
Nearest Airport – Coimbatore Airport
Distance between Coimbatore to Coonoor by Road is – 69Kms.
The bus journey takes time approximately 02 hrs 45.
Also you can book a Cab from Coimbatore to Coonoor which takes 2h 24m.
Places to Explore in Coonoor.
Coonoor tourism is more than the popular places to visit and see. There’s a lot you can do and engage in when you are in this part of the state. Include these interesting things in your Coonoor attractions –
- Take a tour of the Highfield Tea Factory. The 50-year-old Coonoor tea factory offers a tour of their estate and tea production process. They utilize freshly harvested leaves from their plantations and pack them in-house. You can also sample fresh tea or shop for tea and tea accessories.
- Shopping in Coonoor is an experience on its own. From home-made confections, jams and preserves to essential oils, you will be spoilt for choice when you hit the street side local shops. The regional favourite Toda jewellery and handloom fabrics will steal your attention. But the home-grown teas in several aromatic varieties and blends, are the highlights of the town’s merchandise.
- Take a bicycle ride around the town, and explore the local haunts, to feel the underlying heartbeat of the town in its people, explore like a local and see through their day-to-day lives and tread the paths traveled by them.
- Visit the Keystone Foundation, a local community initiative, where they sell home-grown honey, spices, handcrafted garments and souvenirs.
- Explore the famous food trail of Coonoor. Head to Mount Road and stop by Ramchandra’s or Rams, to savor the ‘Wellington Special’. Indulge in regional confections like the Ooty Varki Biscuit, honey cakes or hot-cross buns, from Crown Bakery. Serving the town since the 1800s, this
- will leave you with the best taste in your mouth and memory. There’s more to add to your indulgence list- like the pink coconut barfi from Baker’s Junction or the fudge bar from King Star.
Don’t forget to explore these places too.
Sim’s Park Coonoor
Law’s Falls & so on.
Where To Stay?
To make your mountain holiday convenient, comfortable, and memorable, you must also have a great stay. Most Coonoor resorts offer great views of hills, valleys, or tea gardens. Choose from some of these best resorts in Coonoor for the ultimate experience –
- Tea Nest
- Great Windows Resort
- Wallwood Garden
- The Birdhouse
- Brooklyn Villa
3) Kodaikanal – An Adventurous Hill Station.
Kodaikanal is also popularly known as the princes of Hill Stations. The cool and misty weather, the scenic beauty of the rolling hills and the wooded forest of Kodaikanal and its surroundings will mesmerize any visitor throughout the year.
A cozy hill station in the Dindigul district of Tamil Nadu, Kodaikanal is rightly called the “Princess of Hill Stations.” With lush forests and greenery as far as the eye can see, this stunning city does justice to its name, which translates to “Gift of Forest.”
Best Time to Visit
The best time to visit is said to be the summer months between March and June, nevertheless the town can be visited from October after the monsoons retreat right up till the beginning of the monsoon season in July.
How to reach at Kodaikanal?
Travel by Airway If you planned to visit Kodaikanal by airway then the airports are Madurai would be nearest to you which is located about 135 km away from the city. Other important airports near to the city are located at Trichy (201 km) and Coimbatore (171 km).
Travel by Railways Kodai Road Station is the closest major station of Kodaikanal city. It located about 81 km away from the city. After reaching to this station you have travel with a car by roadway to reach Kodaikanal.
Travel by Roadways Kodaikanal is a small hilly town of Dindigul district located about 91 km away from district headquarter (Dindigul city). Kodaikanal is connected with neighboring big cities by several local ways. Major towns which are connected to Kodaikanal are Chennai, Trichy, Madurai, Dindigul, Palani and Coimbatore.
Where to stay? (Hotels, Restaurants and resorts at Kodaikanal)
Coaker’s Walk, Kodaikanal-624101
|Dalethorpe Home Stay|
1/72 A, Convent Road, Kodaikanal
|Surya Holidays Inn|
Building Society, Kodaikanal
|Hotel Silver Springs|
Laws Ghat Road, Kodaikanal-624101
|Wydra Holiday Bungalows|
3 B Wydra Compound, Observatory Road
Fern Hill Road, Kodaikanal-624101
|Kairali Holiday Inn|
Fairy Falls Road, Kodaikanal-624101
|Villa Rose Homestay|
Near Zion School, Kodaikanal-624101
Mobile Number: +91-9388694546
4) Munnar – A Perfect Summer Escape.
Munnar the exotic hill station in Kerala is blessed generously by the nature. The picturesque hills, breathtaking cliffs, sprawling tea and spice plantations, lakes, waterfalls, you just name it the place is like a slice of heaven. It has a pleasant and favourable climate throughout the year.
Why Munnar? Munnar is the place to become one with nature. From sprawling tea plantations to green hills and cascading waterfalls, everything in Munnar is a treat for the eyes. A road trip to Munnar is a great idea as you can enjoy scenic views on the way.
Munnar is one of the most amazing and beautiful hill station in Kerala and is often referred to as the “Kashmir of South India”. This marvellous hill station experiences a cool climate throughout the year and is one of the most preferred travel destinations in India. Hence “Munnar – A Perfect Summer Escape” .
How to Reach
- By Road:
If you want to explore and discover the meticulous beauty of this stunning hilly retreat, you must opt for a bus journey! Taking you through the winding terrains through the rolling hills and lush plantation areas, a bus journey will get you closer to the enchanting beauty of this tourist destination in Kerala. For the bus commuters, they can avail direct buses to Munnar from almost all major cities in South India.
- By Train:
Though Munnar do not have any direct access to railway tracks, you can board a train to Aluva; around 110km, Ernakulam; 130km, or Madurai which is around 135km from Munnar. Arriving at any of these stations, you can avail direct buses to your favourite hill station in God’s Own Country.
- By Air:
Like any other tourist places in Kerala, Munnar can also be easily reached from Cochin International Airport which is around 110km from the hill station. Madurai International Airport in Tamil Nadu is also among the closest airport to Munnar; distance being 140km.
Places to Explore in Munnar
- Echo Point
- Tea Museum
- Hanging Bridge
- Tata Tea Garden
- Mattupetty Dam
- Chokramudi Peak
- Lockhart Gap View
- Munnar Rose Garden
- Kolukkumalai Tea Estate
- Carmelagiri Elephant Park
- Kolukkumalai Tea Plantation
- Thirumeny Cultural Centre Munnar
- Cinnamon Gardens Spices Plantation
- The Blossom International Park
- Lockhart Plantation Museum
- Kalladanthy Natural Cave
- Attukad Waterfalls
Where to stay?
A few of the most famous and best hotels in Munnar are:
- Dew Drops
- Elixir Hills
- Bella Vista Resort
- Deep Woods Resort
- Nature Zone Resort
- Hotel Star Emirates
- Ayur County Resort
- Pavithram Homestay
- Elysium Garden Hill Resorts
If you have three days in hand you can explore with ease and peace with enough time to rest in between. Most people visiting Munnar would always be in the run to finish their bucket list.
5)Valparai – (7th Heaven)
Valparai is Called “7th Heaven”, This pollution free heavenly land is located above 3,500 feet from the sea level on the Anamalai mountain range. Valparai does not mean only a single town; it stands majestically with Green Spread Mountains and forest all around.
Valparai is worth visiting if you love to visit a hill station that is full of tea gardens, waterfalls and dams. If road trips are your thing, Valparai is an amazing destination in South India as you’ll be travelling through roads surrounded by tea gardens, thick forests and tall mountains.
How to Reach
Valparai is a hill station in the Coimbatore District of Tamil Nadu. It is 104 km from Coimbatore and 64 km from Pollachi, 110 km from Ernakulam (Cochin) via Athirapalli, Vazhachal, Malakkarapa. There is a Kerala-Tamilnadu Border checkpost near Uppar Sholayar Dam.
Coimbatore airport is another international airport near to Valparai – approximately 124 km (the journey up winding roads towards the end means that you should budget 3-4 hours to get there by car from Coimbatore airport).
Coimbatore to Valparai: buses leave at midnight, 1AM, 7:30AM, 11:30AM, 4PM. The route is: Coimbatore – Pollachi – Aliyar Dam – Attakatty – Waterfalls – Rottikadai – Valparai. 100 km.
Pollachi Junction is the nearest railway station – approximately 65 km. Another railway station near to Valparai is Chalakudy Railwaystation. Which is 109 kms away.
Places to Explore in Valparai.
- Athirapally Falls. It is near to the entrance of the Sholayar range is a place of great scenic beauty. Here, the water plunges from a height of nearly 80 feet before joining the Chalakudi river. This picturesque spot is adjacent to dense green forest, and is a part of Chalakudi River, 50 km from Valparai towards Chalakudi, Kerala.
- Kadamparai Dam. This is a beautiful place to visit. Prior permission from the forest department is necessary to visit this place. While visiting the dam, it is also worth visiting Kadamparai PSHE power station in a tunnel complex by getting permission from TNEB.
- Karamalai Annai Vellankanni Church. Lot of miracles happened by Vellankanni Matha. Fesitival takes place every year during September 8th. New church was built in the year 2003. A place to enjoy spiritual peaceful environment. Many people visit this Church daily. Situated at a distance of 10 km from Valparai.
- Loam’s View Point. A beautiful view point from where you can see Aliyar Dam, the surrounding mountains of western Ghats and the Pollachi town. This is situated in 9th hairpin bend towards Valparai from Pollachi.
- Monkey Falls. Monkey Falls is located at the 29th KM junction on the Pollachi-Valparai road. An entry fee of ₹30 per head must be paid at the check post along Aaliyar – Monkey Falls route. (updated Jul 2019 |
- Nallamudi Poonjolai. A beautiful viewpoint near the Sangiliroad in Valparai. One must walk for about 1 km inside the tea estate to reach this view point.
- Nirar dam. This dam is built for multi-purpose project such as irrigation, Hydro electricity production. Dam is situated in a wonderful location covered by a dense forest. There is a waterfalls near by the dam which resembles the Cascade. Situated at a distance of 15 km from Valparai.
- Number Parai. This is also a beautiful view point. Near by Sangiliroad near Valparai.
- Sholayar Dam. It is the second deepest dam of Asia, 20 km from Valparai. An active tourist spot found always busy. A beautiful place to visit.
- Tiger Valley. From here you can see Upper Aliyar reservoir. But, make sure you park the vehicle away from the narrow road and walk back to this point to view the scenery.
Where To Stay?
As most of the land in Valparai belongs to tea estates, there are only limited options for staying in Valparai. There are a few decent hotels, estate bungalows and cottages.
- Green Hill Hotel,
- Holiday Home Bed and Breakfast
- Hornbill Castle – Bed and Breakfast
- Hotel Saravana Grand
- Misty Creek Homestay
- 1 Star Tea Estate
- Treat Hotel
Valparai is very famous for tea and Coffee and buying local made of tea and Coffee powder is a great idea. Valparai is also well know for spices like cardamom, cloves, pepper, etc.
I hope you had a wonderful time with me. Whenever you are packing your bag for a trip just keep these things in your mind. Enjoy, Have a good time, Take care.