Desserts always special for every occasion, everyday and every season, Summer is the good time of enjoying chilled desserts after meals. Phirni is a traditional Kashmiri desserts that is made using milk, saffron, rose water and rice. It was traditionally made in Kashmir but is now popular all over India. Phirni is simillar to the basic Indian Kheer, it also called as Shahi Phirni. The difference in Kheer and Phirni in Kheer whole rice is used and in Phirni crushed rice is used.
In Summer when we feel really hot it gives a cooling effect on the stomach and the whole body, Phirni can be serve hot or chilled, But the actual taste can be relished only when it is served chilled in a clay pot. I loved to eat desserts i think you must loved this. Try making it in your home and enjoy the taste of Phirni with your family and friends in special occasion, Lets start the Shahi Phirni recipe.
Ingredients for Phirni-
- Basmati rice- 2 tablespoon
- Rose water-1 tsp
- Sugar- 1/4 cup
- Saffron- 10-12 strands
- Almonds- 10-12
- Raisins- 20
- Ghee as per required
Preparation Method Step by Step-
- Wash rice perfectly and soak in water for an hour or half-an hour. Drain the water and add the rice to the jar of mixer grinder, Blend the rice to make a grainy consistency. Soak almonds for 2-3 hour peel and chop them.
- Take a medium size bottom pan add ghee, when the ghee is hot add milk to it and give a boil, Once the milk comes to a boil simmer the heat. Add ground rice, Soak saffron stands in 2 tablespoon of milk in a small bowl and keep stirring in between. Saffron gives the Phirni mild yellowish in colour.
- It will take 45 minutes to an hour for the Phirni to thicken, It will become almost half in quantity. Then add rose water, sugar and soaked saffron, Mix it well and stirring it. The consistency of Phirni is Thicker than the Kheer.
- Cook it for another 20 minutes, turn of the flame. Add chopped almonds and mix well, Turn it to a big bowl and let it cool at room temperature. Keep the rice mixture a bit grainy, because after cooling Phirni becomes thick.
- Transfer the Phirni in pots and let chill in refrigerator, Once it cools down transfer it into small clay bowls and let it set for half an hour. Garnish with chopped almonds and then serve the chilled Phirni.
Serving & Storage Suggestion-
I prefer to serve this delicious and creamy Phirni in Earthen pots, However you can use your regular serving bowls too. the clay pot or Earthen pot have raw and rustic smell these pot blends amazingly well with the dessert and these pot looks attractive to see. After adding Phirni into the clay pot or earthen pot, Garnish it with Dry Fruits and a few saffron. I loved to eat chilled Phirni. chilled Phirni tastes the best, But if you prefer it hot, you can serve it when your Phirni is made. You will store the Phirni in the refrigerator for about 2 days when stored properly in an airtight container.
you want to refreshing your summer then you must try this recipe, This is one of the easy dessert recipe. You can made it at home easily with simple ingredients. This dessert is very similar to Kheer which will definitely satisfy you but Phirni gives you a royal test when it serve with a clay or earthen pot, Happy Eating.