Are you the one, who is bored of the usual schedule of life and wish to get rid of them for a couple of days? Or do you wish to settle down and enjoy a peaceful life in a dreamy location? If you are one of them and looking for a peaceful place, your search ends here!
Ditch the city and head to Matheran – the smallest hill stations of India to spend your days to roam the beautiful greenery and next to a soothing lake or staring at the scenic mountains.
If hill stations make you scream with joy, then India is the perfect destination for you. Slide away to the hills and get ready to have a memorable and unforgettable vacation among with your family and friends!
So, here I present to you the smallest hill station of India.
Matheran is a cosy little hill station that stands at an elevation of 2636 feet above sea level, and is just 83 kilometres away from Mumbai, making it the perfect weekend getaway. Matheran is the smallest hill station of India but is extremely popular in terms of tourists looking for a short trip among breathtaking view and calmness.
Matheran is one of the very few places in the world that do not allow any vehicles at all, so the moment you step into this little town, you will be transported back to an idyllic old-world era of red-soiled roads, automobile-free pathways, and lush green hills all around.
As with any other hill station, Matheran is famous for its viewpoints. It has a total of 36 viewpoints from where you can enjoy attracting views of the Sahyadri mountain range.
The hill station is also a heaven for the adventure freak as well. Trekking, rock climbing and paragliding are some of the exciting adventure activities that can be enjoyed by the visitors. One of the prominent attractions of Matheran is the toy train that runs slowly providing an unforgettable experience to the tourists.
Best Time To Visit
Though Matheran has a pleasant climate throughout the year, the best time to visit is between October to May. Here’s a seasonal breakup of the year so you can plan your trip accordingly.
- October – November : This is when the monsoon has just completed and the temperature is cool and perfect for sightseeing.
- December – February : The winter months are cool with the temperature usually staying above 11°C. It’s a great time to visit and is particularly popular with couples on their honeymoon. While the days are mostly sunny, evenings and early mornings tend to get a bit chilly so you should carry light woolens.
- March – May : While the highest temperature can go over 35°C during the day, it’s quite pleasant in general and the weather is suitable for sightseeing, trekking trails and other adventure activities.
- June – September :The monsoon season sees heavy rainfall in the region making outdoor activities a bit of a challenge. But with very few tourists around at this time, you can enjoy the peaceful rain showers and freshly washed green surroundings at peace.
How To Reach?
- By Air : Chhatrapati Shivaji International Airport, Mumbai, is the nearest airport to Matheran. You can board flights till Mumbai from anywhere in India and then travel to Matheran by road or rail. Pune Airport is the other nearest airport to Matheran.
- By Rail : Trains up to Neral Junction are available from Mumbai and Pune. From Neral, toy train is available to reach Matheran. Toy train tickets can be booked in advance from Mumbai and Pune. Many express trains also stop at Karjat, from where a local train can be availed to reach Matheran.
- By Road : Matheran can be reached via Mumbai-Pune Highway and Karjat. State transport buses from Mumbai, Pune and Panvel run regularly to Matheran. Buses can be availed till Neral. From there toy train is available to Matheran. One can also travel by cab from Mumbai and Pune. Remember that no vehicles are allowed inside the town. So, Matheran has to explored by walking or by horses.
Some Places To Explore Near Matheran
1. Louisa Point
Louisa Point is a place where you’ll have to trek to reach which gives this breathtaking place and one of the best Matheran places to visit. This is a unique point in Matheran as it offers two different attractive views. From one point, you can see the sky touching the mountains and a civilization located far in a valley.
If you visit during monsoon, you’ll also see the beautiful waterfalls. The hills, lake and waterfalls add charm to beautify it more. Adventure activities like horse riding, hiking and camping make it more exciting.
2. Charlotte Lake
Charlotte Lake is one of the most spectacular attractions of Matheran. It is an ideal quick retreat for those who seek silence in the lap of nature and a perfect spot for the campers. Visit Charlotte Lake during sunrise and sunset to catch scenic view of Echo Point and Louisa Point. Birdwatching is also a popular activity at the lake, especially during sunrise and sunset.
3. Shivaji’s Ladder
Shivaji’s Ladder is a pathway featuring steps like a ladder situated between One Tree Hill Point and Matheran valley. As per historians, the Chhatrapati Shivaji often used this pathway for hunting in the Matheran hills. The path surrounded by lush green woods with pleasing breeze flowing is used by regional tribes for their day to day travels into the forests.
The trek path that leads to Shivaji’s Ladder is significantly high and risky . It takes 1.5 hours to reach the point from Matheran. Horses are also available to visit this place.
4. Panorama Point
Panorama Point is the most exciting and the farthest viewpoint in Matheran. Amongst all of these, the Panorama Point is quite worth of attention mainly for it’s stunning and amazing 360-degree view of the stunning surroundings.
The path is little bit rocky and hence, your back might start hurting after a while, but it’s an unforgettable journey and when you go through the forest hearing singing birds, breeze and horse’s clip-clop, while having occasional glimpses of varying landscapes. The views from Panorama Point are incredibly stunning and beyond my words.
This place is also a good picnic spot and a photographer’s paradise. Spend some time admiring some mesmerising views, while inhaling fresh air that is a rarity in cities. Panorama Point also serves as a good sunrise and sunset point.
5. Echo Point
Echo Point is one of the famous points of interest in Matheran hill station and it offers wonderful view of the surroundings. As the name suggests, Echo Point is the place where one can hear the echoes from the mountains. The hilltop also gives a bird’s eye view of the entire region.
This place is known for its cleanliness and incredibly pleasant weather. The place is frequented during the monsoon months when the place is dotted with magnificent waterfalls. Echo point is a delight for food lovers as it offers a decent range of food stalls.
Where To Stay?
Here are some hotel suggestions that you can choose.
- Hotel Premdeep
- The Byke Heritage
- Matheran Green Field Resort
- Westend Hotel
- Gokul Valley View
- Roshan Residence
- Janani Cottages
- Kshitij Cottage
- Girivihar Hotel Matheran
- Sunrise Guest House
So that’s all about Matheran – The Smallest Hill Station of India. I hope you liked this article and if you liked it then share this article with your families and friends and plan a trip with them. And I hope you will visit this place and you will liked it.
If you have any suggestions then feel free to share your thoughts in the comment section. Thank you for your valuable time that you spent by reading this article.